If you’re looking to upgrade or know anyone who is or would like to become a ham, the Calhoun County Amateur Radio Association will be holding testing sessions on the 2nd Thursday of each month at 6:30PM at the Calhoun County EMA building located at 507 Francis St. W. – Jacksonville, AL. All testing sessions will be by appointment only.
Interested in taking the exam? Here is what you’ll need.
1. Test Fee – $15.00 (Cash only.)
2. For those taking the Technician Exam, if no government photo ID is available, such as a state issued driver’s license, then two forms of ID are required with at least one being a pictured ID.
3. For those upgrading, a photocopy of your license or relevant CSCE(s) and pictured ID.
The testing fee is charged only once, no matter whether taking any or all of the test element. However a retest of any failed element at the same testing session will require an additional fee.
Anyone interested in making an appointment for a test session please fill out the form below and someone will contact you shortly.
Below are some recommended resources for studying for the entry level Technician Exam
ARRL Ham Radio License Manual 3rd Edition
All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator!
- Easy-to-understand “bite-sized” sections. Use this book, and pass the 35-question Technician Class license test.
- Includes the latest question pool with answer key, for use through June 30, 2018.
- NEW! Use with ARRL’s online Exam Review for Ham Radio (instructions are included inside the manual).
- NEW! Spiral Bound Edition (sold separately)
- Designed for self-study and for classroom use. Intended for all newcomers, instructors and schoolteachers.
Discover the excitement of ham radio. The Amateur Radio Service offers a unique mix of public service, technology and experimenting with electronics–all with an emphasis on fun. Some hams use their skills to provide communications during emergencies and disasters when all else fails. Others enjoy talking to people across the country and around the globe, participating in local contests and building experiments. The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual will guide you as you get started in the hobby–as you select your equipment, set-up your first station and make your first contact.
Use this book to study for your license exam. Every page presents information you will need to pass the exam and become an effective operator. You’ll cover small sections at a time:
- Welcome to Amateur Radio
- Radio and Signals Fundamentals
- Electricity, Components, and Circuits
- Propagation, Antennas, and Feed Lines
- Amateur Radio Equipment
- Communicating With Other Hams
- Licensing Regulations
- Operating Regulations
At the end of the book, you’ll find the entire Technician Question Pool.
NEW! Online Review and Practice Exams As you complete each chapter of this book, use ARRL’s online Exam Review for Ham Radio to help prepare you for exam day. This web-based service uses the question pool to construct chapter-by-chapter reviews. Once you’ve finished this book, use the online service to take practice exams with the same number and variety of questions that you’ll encounter on exam day. You won’t have any surprises on exam day!
NEW! Spiral Bound Edition (lies flat)
The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual. Kindle Edition.
ARRL’s Tech Q&A. Includes the entire question pool with brief explanations.
Softcover: 336 pages
Publisher: The American Radio Relay League, Inc.;
Copyright: 2014-2016, Third edition, Fourth printing
Product Dimensions: 8 3/16 x 10 7/8 inches
Shipping Weight: 1.31 pounds
Online courses for the U.S. ham radio license exams.
Integrates study materials with question drill, using the actual exam questions and answers.
Tracks your progress and focuses on your weak areas, drilling questions you get wrong more often than ones you get right.
It’s a powerful combination. Just ask our students!